As summer begins to kick off we are all hopefully planning to have at least one great getaway to a relaxing destination of our choice. Yet as the years go by for some of us it feels like more and more of an effort to create the summer trip of our dreams due to the fact that traveling comes with its own complications. Not only can picking the perfect spot for you and your elderly loved one be a struggle, but the act of traveling to a generally hot and humid summer time destination can be exhausting. This being said, we at CareLinx have come up with some great ideas for the perfect summer trip locations for seniors.
San Francisco, California- Seeing that we are a Bay Area based company our heart always lays in beautiful San Francisco. Although San Francisco does have great temperatures year round, summer time generally stays at a peaceful 70 degrees, which is a perfect temperature for rest and relaxation. A few possible senior friendly activities include:
· Wandering down to Fisherman’s Wharf on Pier 39 to indulge in some fresh cracked crab.
· Feeling a little fancy? Go to the Top of the Mark at the Mark Hopkins Hotel for a champagne brunch on Sundays.
· Get the summer sail boat-racing experience along San Francisco’s Pier’s at the “Americas Cup” sail boat race, starting July 4th.
· Take a relaxing stroll through the famous Golden Gate Park.
Find more info about San Francisco at: www6.sfgov.org/index.aspx?page=5
San Diego, California- If your ideal escape from reality lies more with the relaxing sound of the ocean, than San Diego is the spot for you. With the relaxing climate and laid back beach town feel, San Diego is an all around great destination that leaves little room for hassle.
Some fun things to do with your loved one could be:
· Take a drive to Balboa Park for amazing museums, attractions and preforming arts.
· All ages will enjoy the exploration of San Diego’s famous SeaWorld Theme Park.
· In the mood for a secluded beach day? Check out La Jolla Cove.
Find more info about San Diego at: www.sandiego.gov/directories/visiting.shtml
West Palm Beach, Florida- Being notorious for its sprawling beaches and close to perfect year round weather, West Palm Beach is a picturesque location for a warm summer retreat. A few fun and relaxing activities include:
· A vibrant entertainment district featuring a free fountain side concert series happening every Thursday night.
· Norton Museum of Art and Design, which holds world-renowned contemporary art.
· Taking a walk along the waterfront with views of the famous Florida Everglades.
Find more info about West Palm Beach at: www.palmbeachfl.com/
Maui, Hawaii- If you’re looking to get in touch with your tropical side, Maui is the place to be. With its soft sand beaches and an endless supply of coconuts to go around, people of all ages can enjoy the island breeze. Some things to look for in Maui are:
· Hit one of Maui’s many famous sandy places at Keawakapu Beach.
· Early riser? Take a drive to the Haleakala Crater to catch a breathtaking sunrise.
· For the traditional Hawaiian Luau experience check out Old Lahaina Luau which offers authentic Hawaiian food, music and cultural dances.
Find more info about Maui at: www.gohawaii.com/maui
West Dennis, Cape Cod- To have a more peaceful and calm vacation take a look at West Dennis, Cape Cod. This relaxing destination holds a quaint feel that has the perfect mix of beaches and charming lighthouses that proudly display the towns history. A few possible activities in West Dennis include:
· Visiting one of the many Cape Code Lighthouses.
· Hit the West Dennis Beach on the South Shore.
· Rent a family style personal cottage to have the optimal Cape Cod experience.
Find more info about West Dennis at: www.dennischamber.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=20&page=1
If you're willing to make your trip a bit more daring, then take a look at www.eldertreks.com. This is an adventurous company that offers excursions by sea and land in over 100 different countries, intended entirely for people over 50! With expeditions offered domestically as well as overseas, Eldertreks takes you on cultural journeys through Asia, South America the Antarctic and more.
Whether it be laying out by Southern California or Cape Cod Beaches, catching the Hawaiian sunrise, taking strolls past the Florida Everglades, getting a tour of Alcatraz, or having expeditions over seas, traveling this summer with your senior loved one shouldn’t be anything but a time to unwind and enjoy your getaway. We at CareLinx hope you have a lovely and stress free summer excursion that leaves you with great memories. Just remember the sunscreen!